Social Media - I’m Pretty Attached, But Not Addicted

Bookmark and Share


I’m pretty attached, but not addicted!” , that was my response when one of my friends chanted on me that I’m a Facebook / Twitter addict.  I admit I kinda have this social media passion or something, but I believe I am pretty attached, not addicted.  

For that reason, I took a quiz called “Social Media Addiction Quiz”. I honestly answered the 14 questions they have and whoa, the result was:


89%


I couldn’t believe it. So in response to the quiz result, I searched around the web for information about social media addiction, Facebook addiction, and Twitter addiction. I found out a lot of results about it and I was happy thinking I am not alone in this “addiction” thingy. 

Upon surfing the Internet about this condition, my attention was caught by a very informative infographic from Flowtown, so I registered to the site and get used of their services. Now, look at the graphic and see it for yourself, are you addicted to social media? 

Please click the image to see it LARGER - Social Media Addiction
I am kind of person who will not be contented with just one limited information, so I explored for more and then found  these two researches /studies on social media addiction. 

A study from Retrevo Gadgetology suggests that more people are becoming obsessed with their online social circles. These are the stats from the survey:
  • 48% of people check/update Facebook and/or Twitter after they go to bed.  
  • 55% of people over 25 have to check in on Facebook at least once a day.
  • 49% of people under 25 years old can be interrupted by an electronic message during a meal. (27% for people over 25 years of age)
Another study was conducted by "The World Unplugged", a global media study that asked 1,000 students aged 17-23 to abstain from any form of media for a whole 24 hours. The study, run by the International Center for Media and the Public Agenda (University of Maryland), compiled surveys from young adults in ten countries around the world, including Lebanon, China, Uganda, Argentina and the U.S. Here are the results:
  • The study found that the students described their digital selves and extensions of their real selves, but were unable to differentiate one from the other. A Mexican student said, "it was an unpleasant surprise to realize that I am in a state of constant distraction, as if my real life and my virtual life were coexisting in different planes, but in equal time." 
  • The students reported that Facebook is essential to maintaining any sort of social life. Without it, you have no chance to tether yourself to a group of friends. 
  • The study found that the term "news" has been completely skewed by the reliance on social media. Students reported that they had no idea what was going on in the world, but not because they couldn't check CNN or BBC, but because they couldn't see what their friends were saying on Facebook and Twitter. "News" to them is anything that happens, globally of locally. They also rely more on social media sites to provide their news as opposed to going out and finding it themselves. 
  • 140 characters is enough. The students were happy to give and receive information in the quick hit format. 
  • They didn't miss email as much as social networking sites, but they don't think email is dead. It is just for "older" demographics and for work.
So there you have it. So, what do you think now? Are you one of us? Oh c’mon I guess like as what life is all about, this condition comes down to be our choice, we choose it and we make it. In my humble opinion, whether this addiction (social media addiction) is an existent condition or not, I believe people appear to feel being attached into it.